Iran's nuclear chief announced Sunday that Iran will continue it's current 20 percent enrichment of uranium, reports the New York Times. The statement comes after hints earlier this week from Tehran that they might be willing to halt their enrichment program.
From the Times:
Iran will not halt its 20 percent enrichment of uranium, the country’s nuclear chief said Sunday on state television, backing away from an earlier offer that suggested Tehran might be prepared to cease production of the higher-grade nuclear material.
The official, Fereydoon Abbasi, also announced that Iran would start building two nuclear power plants in 2013, and he said that its only active nuclear reactor was near full production after a delay of many years.
He made clear that there would be no suspension of enrichment by Iran, a crucial demand of a handful of United Nations Security Council resolutions. “We have no reason to retreat from producing the 20 percent because we need 20 percent uranium just as much to meet our needs,” Mr. Abbasi said, according to Iranian state television.